[pmwiki-users] historical question

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Apr 29 12:08:39 CDT 2005

On Fri, Apr 29, 2005 at 03:57:56PM +0200, Joachim Durchholz wrote:

> OTOH having *...* would be *very* convenient to have, particularly for
> those who (like me) write may emails and are accustomed to using it.

PmWiki has absolutely no problem with people adding *...*
(or any other sequence) as a markup for their local sites.  I just
didn't want to "impose" it on others, especially when it doesn't
apply in all situations (i.e., "*...* bolds only if the asterisks
are next to letters on one side, non-letters on the other...).

> >I've been toying with the idea of swapping the order of processing
> >inline and link markup; if we did this then /.../ would mess with any
> >sort of url or filename path.
>
> Doesn't the URL markup use Keep() to protect the results from further
> markup processing?

Sure, but if we swap the order of processing then /.../ would end
up being processed before the link markup.

> Not that losing /.../ would bother me too much. I haven't ever seen it
> before Mozilla Mail sort of popularised it. (OTOH I never liked that ''
> ''' '''' markup. '' and ''' and '''' look too similar in wiki syntax and
> too dissimilar after rendering. I'd be perfectly happy to write *...*,
> /.../, and */.../* instead. Repeated single quotes should have been used
> for something else, and wiki tradition be d**ned.)

Again, my choice was only marginally associated with wiki tradition,
it had more to do with the difficulty of getting *...* to always work
the way authors would expect.