[pmwiki-users] Site.SideBar or Main.SideBar?

Algis Kabaila akabaila at pcug.org.au
Mon Aug 1 18:20:03 CDT 2005

Ben,
On Monday 01 August 2005 21:24, Benjamin Wilson wrote:
> Algis Kabaila wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > First, I must apologise for not having read all the mail of this list.
> > There has been a lot of information coming through in an ever increasing
> > stream...
> >
> > When I create a new group, references to it invoke the Site.SideBar,
> > rather than Main.SideBar. That's fine, but I missed the plot: is the Site
> > meant to eventually replace Main?   Is it preferable to make links to the
> > new groups on the Site.SideBar, rather than the Main.SideBar?
> >
> > Thanks for your patience - I am sure that the answer to this question
> > should abvious - not for me, though...
>
> I like to think of Site as being the place for site-related housekeeping
> pages (Site.EditForm, Site.AllRecentChanges and Site.SideBar). That way,
> the Main group can go back to being the main group for site-specific
> content.
>
> Of course, if you set $SiteGroup to 'Main,' then nothing will change. :-)
>
> Ben

Thank you for your email. Greatly appreciated!  In particular, I appreciate
the explanation how to make the SiteGroup to refer to 'Main'.

PmWiki is so well organised and its details are so widely discussed that I
have developed a very high regard for its implementation of the wiki styles.
Consequently, I would like to "flow with the stream", rather than against it.
I recall some notes about the programming difficulty to change
programmatically the SideBar.  Also, I note that newly created groups, when
accessed from a link on the "Main.SideBar",   cause the
"Site.SideBar"  (rather than the referring "Main.SideBar") to appear.

This seemed to suggest that perhaps the "Site.SideBar", rather than the
"Main.SideBar" should have the links to the new groups.  In turn, that seems
to suggest that the side admin should implement gradual transfer of main
links to the "Site.SideBar".

If I  am missinterpreting the idea of "Site", which, as Ben says, can be
thought as the place for "Site specific content" (which raises a question of
what is "Site specific content". All the stuff that PCUG site carries is PCUG
specific - is that "Site specific content?". I currently administer the PCUG
site.).

On the other hand, if the "Site specific content" is all that comes with the
default installation of PmWiki (before any addition of local information),
how do I enable new groups to continue to show "Main.SideBar"?

 Clearly, I could follow your suggestion, Ben, and set the $SiteGroup to
"Main", but as this is not the default, is that the idea behind the "Site"
group?

In view of the careful consultations that Patrick Michaud conducts and my high
regard for the way PmWiki develops, I am reluctant to change the defaults,
unless it is really, really necessary.

Ben, thanks again for you comment.  Perhaps someone else will add to it.   All
comments are  greatly appreciated - I again apologise for not having followed
the discussion on the move to the "Site" group when the discussion first took
place. For the record, PCUG site (and also my home PmWiki) uses
pmwiki-2.0.beta48 version.

Sincerely,

Al.

--