[pmwiki-users] LDAP / PAM Module

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Thu Aug 4 02:36:18 CDT 2005

Gunnar Wagenknecht wrote:

> Has anyone achieved to get PmWiki running with LDAP or Linux PAM? I'd
> appreciate any code snippets if someone like to share them.

PAM would require installing a PHP module to access it.
LDAP must be compiled into PHP.

This means that making use of these modules requires some uncommon
skills, so there is less experience with that available.

This also means that PAM isn't for you unless you know how to install
PHP modules, and that LDAP isn't for you unless you either have a rather
large PHP installation, or can recompile and reinstall PHP.

PAM doesn't offer write access to the permission store (that's outside
of PAM's mission). OTOH it's easy to integrate multiple different
permission stores with PAM, so you can set up some PmWiki-specific
writable permission store for transient site visitors and have PAM also
use the Unix authentication to prepopulate the PmWiki permission store
with groups and users from shell accounts.
LDAP has a built-in mechanism for updating records. It's usually one of
the permission stores that are pulled into PAM.

Regards,
Jo