[pmwiki-users] FAQ Page Layout

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Thu Aug 4 11:41:50 CDT 2005

At 2005-08-04  09:15 AM -0700, H. Fox is rumored to have said:
> > As soon as a format and its markup have been selected, I will start. For my
> > money:
> > 1) no Q: or A:
> > 2) bold question, plain answer
> > 3) flush left question, indented answer
> > 4) some kind of TOC at the top with subdivision (general questions,
> > security questions, etc.)
>
>5) "Q:" and "A:" are not displayed.

I think 1 and 5 make the same point ...  the actual text "Q:" and "A:" are
not rendered, but they may be used as the markup.

Unless someone else has a burning desire to do so, I will begin slashing
and burning on the current FAQ page. I will keep the current markup of "Q:"
and "A:" assuming that if the rendering changes, it will just work.

The only problem I foresee is the markup of multi-paragraph answers. As an
author, I would really like to be able to write this:

----

Q: How can I put more than one paragraph in an answer on the FAQ page?

A: There is no need to do anything special, just precede the answer with
the [=A:=] markup. In cases where there are multiple paragraphs in an
answer, the indentation continues until the next [=Q:=] markup.

PmWiki is clever enough to figure out that a subdivision heading should
also end an [=A:=] section.

-----

Having to prefix extra paragraphs with "->" makes the edit window very
cluttered. Not sure if the [=...=] is needed around the embedded "Q:"
items, but better safe than sorry.

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/