[pmwiki-users] Re: Supporting different modes in default pmwiki

Radu radu at monicsoft.net
Mon Aug 8 12:12:15 CDT 2005

Just adding my voice to the crowd:

I made a basic 'modes' implementation on an edited version of Hans'
Gemini2 skin, that currently simply tells what access a given page
has (read,write,admin,upload)

However, I totally agree that 'modes' are great ways to allow Authors
to have current wiki context work in their favor. This is one of the
reasons I shose Gemini2: it has(had?) a simplified layout for edit.

I have a problem with the name, though. 'Mode' is extremely
overloaded semantically - and what we need matches none of the
meanings listed at:
http://webster.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=mode
... except maybe 4a.

How about 'view', which is what we use when working with data sets,
or just 'layout'?

At 09:40 AM 8/8/2005, Hans wrote:
>I forgot to say:
>I copied Temp.Modes to Cookbook.ModesConcept
>as place to distill our ideas.
>http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/ModesConcept
>I guess this can stay a page to describe the concept of modes.
>
>Perhaps another page will arise for Cookbook.ModesImplementations,
>to show for instance which skins support which modes, and mode
>implementations an admin can do, on a practical level.
>
>And Cookbook.Modes gives the necessary tools as a script, to enable
>pmwiki to support modes.

Cheers,
Radu
(www.monicsoft.net)