[pmwiki-users] Locked SideBar in new installation

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Wed Aug 10 13:51:07 CDT 2005

At 2005-08-10  07:35 PM +0100, Hans is rumored to have said:
>Do you have to explain 'nopass'? In order to bring the SideBar into
>the fold of the Site protection (ie. admin password, which needs to be
>set in config.php) the SideBar's edit attribute needs to be changed to
>'clear'.

True, but what steps are required?
1) create or copy config.php
2) set admin password
3) go to sidebar page with ?action=attr
4) set edit password to "clear"

This seems completely counterintuitive. You are telling a newbie admin to
set a password to "clear" in order to password protect the item!!!

versus

1) create or copy config.php
2) set $EnableSidebarPassword=1;

I really dislike creating a new special purpose variable like this, by the way.

versus

1) create or copy config.php
2) set admin password

The newbie admin can now edit the sidebar by supplying the admin password.
This seems like the "right thing to do" (TM).

> > And to spread the joy a bit further, what should the default protection
> > state be for pages such as RightBar,  PageTopMenu and PageFootMenu????
>
>I'm open to suggestions.

As in the last option above. You need the admin password to edit them.

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/
Tel: (613) 829-4668