[pmwiki-users] question about view concept

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Aug 11 08:38:21 CDT 2005

On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 11:33:16AM +0200, Patrick Ogay wrote:
> I  don't know whether I'm right about the view concept:
>
> There are different users with different rights .
> Some actions or contents should be hidden for some users.
> Is a view linked with authorisations?
> A view is not a skin? (which generally the user can assign)
>
> I'm very much interested in views, which are depended of abilities of a
> user.

Views are different from authorizations.  Authorization
determines what a user is _allowed_ to perform, while
views are a way of selecting or customizing a skin based
on the types of actions the user _wants_ to perform.

Thus, an administrator (authorized to perform any action)
could select different views of a page depending on the
tasks of interest.  In browse mode the administrator might
want to see none of the page controls (to get an idea of how
the page looks to non-authors), in authoring mode they would
want to see edit controls, and in admin mode they might see
actions for approving urls, performing reference counts,
expiring page histories, renaming pages, etc.

FWIW, I'm not entirely comfortable with the name "views"
for this capability -- it doesn't seem to flow well when
trying to describe what it does.  This often means it should
be called something else.