[pmwiki-users] what is the best way to clear out spammer droppings??

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Thu Aug 11 13:08:48 CDT 2005

Now that the blocklist is working again and our recent spammer has been
slowed down (stopped??), what is (are)  the best way(s) to remove their
droppings?

I have been using the RecentChanges page to find pages with no author, open
them, open the history view, restore, sign, add summary and save. That is a
lot of clicking and it has a major drawback: some shy authors do not sign
their posts, so they end up looking like the spammer, and the history check
is the only page that quickly shows they are not.

The other things I tried was doing a search for the spammers URL (not their
IP, since you can't search for that). This works well at organizing the
spam by group, but it still has the disadvatage of requiring the
open/history/etc sequence.

One thought I had was some kind of custom search  for "spammer URL +
history link" that would create links to the history page directly (rather
than the page alone). This might be useful in a more general format such as
"searchterm &extra_text_for_links" so I could say "spammerURL
&?action=history".

Are there any other shortcuts for getting rid of bags of spam?

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/
Tel: (613) 829-4668