[pmwiki-users] Supporting different modes in default pmwiki

Bronwyn Boltwood arndis at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 16:20:41 CDT 2005

On 8/11/05, Neil Herber <nospam at eton.ca> wrote:
> At 2005-08-11  03:07 PM -0400, Bronwyn Boltwood is rumored to have said:
> >The idea here is that you have set up a site using PmWiki as a CMS,
> >and want to use display view by default.  You do not want to show the
> >view switcher to your visitors.  But wiki authors and admins will need
> >a different view, and access to the view switcher.  That's the use
> >case.
> >
> >Could we, in display view, show only a "Login" link, that, when
> >clicked, asks for the page's edit password, and reloads the page in
> >the appropriate view?  Logging in would also reveal the full version
> >of the view switcher, including a Logout link that gets rid of the
> >cookie with your passwords.
> >
> >What the "appropriate view" should be is a little tricky.
>
> I prefer admin to login because login implies that there might be
> privileged users. Admin stops the inevitable question "What can I do if I
> log in?" Note that many message boards have different functions available
> to users who login in and guests who don't.

I was choosing Login precisely because of its implications, since I
wish serve closed authoring *groups* as well as one-man-bands like me.
 e.g. Sally in Receiving might be scared off by the term "admin",
since she knows she's not the admin.  But to cut down on those
questions, the Login link would be deliberately inconspicuous...just
one more innocent little link somewhere.

I wouldn't worry too hard about the wording.  Hans and I are backing
views, and he was already using wikipages for configuring his skins,
and I've been converting my opus magnum to do so too, so changing the
link's wording may well be trivial, even if for those frightened of
HTML.

> The admin view should just be an all-bells-and-whistles version. Actually,
> the current default for PmWiki would be just fine.

Christian and Radu and I want admin bells-and-whistles beyond the
dreams of avarice, so you might want just plain author view then,
rather than admin proper, especially if Hans jumps on that bandwagon
with us...  :)

Bronwyn