[pmwiki-users] question about view concept

Radu radu at monicsoft.net
Thu Aug 11 16:45:49 CDT 2005

At 05:17 PM 8/11/2005, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

>My statement is that views as 'modes' are just ways for the
>skin to change based on the current intentions/desires of
>the user, not on the available (authorized) actions.  But I'm
>not sure what you meant by "current actions" here.

Well, the only way a skin can gauge the intentions/desires (Fodor,
anyone? ;) of the users (ha! gotcha! ;) is through a click of the
user. One clicks 'edit' and expects to be able to. One clicks an
'options' link and expects to set options. And I'm trying to set
these options in the context of the current page, so s/he can see how
the changes affect it (rather than having to go to a separate page
full of options). Therefore, I am telling the skin to 'open' an
options sidebar through a ?setview= action (thanks for the suggestion.)

>I somewhat disagree with the use of ?action= in this sense --
>it seems to me to be more consistent to use ?setview= , in the same
>way that we use ?setskin= to change the skin.

Righty-o! ?view= will not set the session var, while ?setview= will.
I can take that analogy. Thank you.

Cheers,
Radu
(www.monicsoft.net)