[pmwiki-users] what about a favicon? <link rel="SHORTCUT ICON" href="/favicon.ico">

Patrick Ogay lists at basel-inside.ch
Fri Aug 12 06:52:02 CDT 2005

The behavior of the favorite icons is very strange.

>as far as I know there does not need to be a reference anywhere in
>html.
It is sufficient that the icon file resides in the  web root
>directory. If such an icon is there, the browser will pick it up
>automatically.
Depends on the browser.
Mozilla 1.78 Win, dosn't show *any* icon (Tab and URL-line)

But you're right, I bookmarked the Site in MSIE5.0 an I see the icon, in the favorits.

>Sometimes the browser is a bit reluctant to do so,
>maybe because of cached stuff, I don't know.
I think a
<link rel="SHORTCUT ICON" href="/favicon.ico">
wouldn't harm :-)
For my page, I see at least an icon in the tabs...

I checked also opera 7 beta, and I didn' see an icon either, on pmwiki.org Site nor on my site :-(
->On the other hand www.gmx.de and dict.leo.org showed up (on Tab and on URL-Line), in that ->way the favicon has to be installed.

Regards
Patrick Ogay

P.S
We can make a survey, in which browsers the favicon can be seen:
Browserline
Tab