[pmwiki-users] Re: (:markup:) directives and p's

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Aug 12 08:04:10 CDT 2005

On Fri, Aug 12, 2005 at 05:53:55AM +0530, V.Krishn wrote:
> Here: http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/Images or any other pages have the
> directive.
> Is this directive working ok or usage not correct?
> (:markup:) [=
> =]

The (:markup:) directive is currently not working properly on pmwiki.org --
I'm still updating it.

> (:Pun Unintended:)
> I think the markup is getting enclosed by <p> tags leading to block within

You're correct, it is and it shouldn't be.

> Secondly, coming to this topic, though I vaguely remember that there had been
> some discussion regarding it, Can <p class='vspace'></p> be replaced with
> 1. Empty p's not being recommended. Browsers should technically ignore them.
> 2. Would cause the above block within it to be valid.

Actually, changing <p class='vspace'></p> to a div won't change the
validity of the block at all (both are just empty blocks).

If you want to try changing it and let us know what happens, just set

    $HTMLVSpace = "<div class='vspace'></div>";

and we can see if it works.  I seem to recall that some browsers
such as Internet Explorer had trouble with the <div> whereas the <p>
worked.  Or maybe it was Netscape.