[pmwiki-users]SEO: Avoiding Headings in the SideBar

Crisses crisses at kinhost.org
Sun Aug 14 06:59:56 CDT 2005

On Aug 11, 2005, at 9:22 PM, H. Fox wrote:

> What I'm trying to get across is: Using headings in the SideBar is
> misleading to tools that take advantage of heading structure of pages
> for various purposes.  It would be better to achieve the same
> appearance with, say

I've been studying Google and other search engines methods of ranking
pages.  You're 100% correct.

This is going to mess up EVERY wiki's Google Search Rankings.
Irrelevant headers on the page -- especially H1s -- are going to out-
rank the page's REAL h1 or h2.

Ouch.  Those are one of the primary criteria for indexing pages along
with the "Title" of the page (which makes using (:title Name of the
Page:) much more important for wikis that want good Google.).

Time to fix my wiki templates.

The proper search-engine-friendly format is to use unordered lists.
And that would resolve an issue I have with one of my template's
upcoming changes for site nav anyway.

Crisses
----
"You had to see that movie so that we could have a common frame of
bizzareness, because sometimes a common frame of _reference_ just
won't do."
  -- Crisses about Being John Malcovitch