[pmwiki-users]SEO: Avoiding Headings in the SideBar

H. Fox haganfox at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 17:51:05 CDT 2005

On 8/15/05, Bronwyn Boltwood <arndis at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/14/05, H. Fox <haganfox at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm not sure the W3C validator will be impressed.
> >
> > http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pmwiki.org%2Fwiki%2FPmWiki%2FBasicEditing&outline=1#outlineresult
>
> Now isn't that a nice joke: the validator's output code is invalid.
> See details at http://arndis.godsong.org/static/misc/invalid.html.

How ironic.

To me, it indicates they *really* want to drive the point home.

> Why don't we try putting an <hn>Sidebar</hn> at the top of the
> sidebar, and hide it through CSS?  At least the outline will be more
> accurate that way.

Short answer: Mostly because of SEO (See the subject of this thread)

Long answer:
I think it's because that would result in every PmWiki installation
competing for the top search engine ranking for the keyword "sidebar".

Better would be to promote ranking based upon the page's wiki content.

This is not to say search engine optimization is the only purpose for
extracting the document outline, but it's an important one.

Hagan