[pmwiki-users] Allow write password to substitute for read password

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Aug 17 20:27:08 CDT 2005

On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 09:59:49AM -0500, David Sovinski wrote:
> I'm using beta54 and it doesn't work here. It forces me to enter the
> read password to get to read the page(s). Then I can hit edit and enter
> the write password

David is correct -- at the moment, knowing the edit (or attr) password
doesn't automatically grant read access; one still has to enter the
read password.  I just haven't decided if I want to add that yet,
as it adds yet another consideration to how passwords work.

The simple work around is to specify both the edit and read password
when setting a read password.  In other words, if the read password
is "alpha" and the edit password is beta, then enter

    Set new read password: alpha beta
    Set new edit password: beta

This says that either "alpha" or "beta" can be used to read pages,
but only "beta" may edit.

If setting passwords in config.php, then use

    $DefaultPasswords['read'] = array(crypt('alpha'), crypt('beta'));
    $DefaultPasswords['edit'] = crypt('beta');

The cascading that was added in beta50 goes "the other way" --
i.e., if a page has a read password on it (but no edit or attr
password), then attempting to edit the page or change attributes
requires the read password.

Pm