[pmwiki-users]SEO: Avoiding Headings in the SideBar

H. Fox haganfox at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 06:22:42 CDT 2005

On 8/17/05, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 01:15:09PM -0700, H. Fox wrote:
> > On 8/17/05, Crisses <crisses at kinhost.org> wrote:
> > > Or if I want the browser title bar to say one thing, and my H1 to be
> > > worded a little differently
> >
> > Solution: Have title-as-h1 only if there's no h1 markup in the wiki page.
>
> Or even use
>
>    (:title browser title bar says one thing:)
>    (:notitle:)
>    ! H1 is  worded a little differently

That's good trick to know.  I might not have thought to put title and
notitle in the same page.

I'm not sure I got my point across clearly though.  "Have title-as-h1
only if there's no h1 markup in the wiki page" means the following:

On 8/14/05, you wrote:
> I've been thinking that the <div class="pagetitle"> that exists
> now in PmWiki's skin ought to just change to <h1 class="pagetitle">.
> Opinions?

My opinion is if there's an H1 in the wiki page, then use <div
class="pagetitle">, but if there isn't then use <h1
class="pagetitle">.  Either way, it would look the same in the
browser.  Either way it would have an H1 for SEO.  This is better than

* Title always H1, which was you asked for feedback about.
* Title never H1, which is what we have now.

Now do you understand why I'm asking if you can detect, in skin.php,
whether there's H1 markup in the page?

> No special magic required.
>
> I don't think that "!" in the markup should automatically imply a
> change in the displayed title.  That's what (:title:) is for.

I completely agree.  That's what I meant when I wrote

On 8/17/05, H. Fox <haganfox at gmail.com> wrote:
> Repeating:  The skin should automagically promote good semantic
> structure (thus SEO) without affecting, at all, the appearance of
> pages.

Hagan