[pmwiki-users] BasicEditing, TipsForEditing, TextFormattingRules revision

Bronwyn Boltwood arndis at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 18:16:31 CDT 2005

On 8/26/05, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> So, I'm not sure what to do with TextFormattingRules.  We could
> go ahead and leave it as a long descriptive page with lots of markups
> and examples, but I'm not sure who would use it or when (which is why
> I'm wondering if it's needed).

Make a list of all the markup help pages that already exist:
	AdvancedTables
	BasicEditing
	UsingCategories (for category markup)
	ConditionalMarkup
	Creating New Pages (to teach people how)
	DeletingPages (to teach people how)
	EditQuickReference
	GoodStyle
	Images
	ImagesInWikiPages (merge this and Images)
	IncludeOtherPages
	InterMap
	Links (this page is incomplete, BTW)
	ListStyles
	MarkupVariables
	SimpleTables
	SimpleTables2
	SpecialCharacters
	Other special markups
	TextFormattingRules
	TipsForEditing
	Uploads (for upload markup)
	WikiStyles
	WikiTrails

Sort them into groups:

	Advanced help
		ConditionalMarkup
		IncludeOtherPages
		MarkupVariables
		SpecialCharacters
		SpecialMarkups
	Beginner help
		BasicEditing
		Creating New Pages
		DeletingPages
		GoodStyle
		TipsForEditing
	Images
		Images
		ImagesInWikiPages
	Links
		Links (this page is incomplete, BTW)
		InterMap
		Uploads
		UsingCategories
		WikiTrails
	Tables
		SimpleTables
		SimpleTables2
		AdvancedTables
	Text Formatting
		ListStyles
		WikiStyles

Determine a structure, and then merge, split, and extract as
necessary.  Here's the structure I'd aim to end up with.  Items that
are pages in their own right have [[double brackets]].  If an item
should link to more information, it'll have (pointer to [[foo]]) after
it.  The order might need some work.

[[HelpForBeginners]]
* basic text formatting and linking rules
* creating and deleting pages
* GoodStyle suggestions

[[Links]]
* free links
* wikiwords
* external links and images (basically, "URLs ending with .gif, .jpg,
or .png are displayed as images in the page.") (pointer to [[Images]])
* how to change the displayed text
* uploads (pointer to [[Uploads]])
* wikitrails (pointer to [[WikiTrails]])
* linking within the page
* categories (pointer to [[UsingCategories]])
* intermap (pointer to [[InterMap]])

[[Blocks]] (anyone got a better name, BTW?)
* paragraphs
* headings
* separators
* linebreaks
* preventing formatting

[[Text Formatting]]
* emphasis
* lists  (pointer to [[ListStyles]])
* monospace
* size
* other (e.g. superscript)
* [[WikiStyles]]
* [[SpecialCharacters]]

[[Images]]

Tables
* [[SimpleTables]]
* [[AdvancedTables]]

Advanced Help
* [[IncludeOtherPages]]
* [[MarkupVariables]]
* [[ConditionalMarkup]]

The structure could be kept in a trailpage called MarkupHelp.

Bronwyn