[pmwiki-users] MarkupExtension - FootNotes problem

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Sun Aug 28 17:25:23 CDT 2005

On Saturday, 27 August 2005 5:13 AM, Peter Brink <peter.brink at brinkdata.se> wrote:
>Patrick R. Michaud skrev:
>
>> John Rankin should be able to answer in more detail, but I'll
>> provide my observations.
>>
>[ snip ]
>>
>> The solution is to make sure that each footnote identifier is unique.
>> This could be done by something like
>>
>>    - Never resetting the footnote counter to zero
>>    - Adding a "footnote group" counter into the anchor, as in
>>      #fn_1_1, #fn_1_2, #fn_1_3, ...  and then after a [^#^] markup
>>      has been encountered increasing the group number to produce
>>      anchors like  #fn_2_1, #fn_2_2, #fn_2_3, etc.
>>
>> I don't think the problem is tied to any particular version of PmWiki;
>> I think that the footnote capabilities in extendmarkup.php aren't
>> (yet?) designed to support multiple instances of the [^#^] markup
>> in a single page.
>
>Thanks for the help Patrick!

Yes, it's a bug! And that's the fix.

>I've commented out the resetting of the counter as quick n' dirty
>solution. I'll probably try and change the code so that I can have
>several sets of footnotes numbered from 1 and up, but I save that for
>later this weekend... :-)

It looks as if you have now fixed it, although the group counter
isn't quite right. Incidentally, the current version of the
extensions puts the footnote return link at the end of the
footnote text as an uparrow, which seems more intuitive.

I'll update the code ASAP.

Thanks for pointing it out and for the fix.

--
JR