[pmwiki-users] Suggested default template changes for 2.1

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Dec 7 16:08:23 CST 2005

Repeating some of my comments from the PITS entry:

On Thu, Dec 08, 2005 at 07:04:13AM +1300, Simon wrote:
>    1) Include the pmwiki.css file after the page specific styles
>    ie in the template
>    <!--HeaderText-->
>    <link rel='stylesheet' href='$SkinDirUrl/pmwiki.css' type='text/css' />
>    instead of
>    <link rel='stylesheet' href='$SkinDirUrl/pmwiki.css' type='text/css' />
>    <!--HeaderText-->
>    This will allow the pmwiki.css styles to override the styles included in
>    the page.

But this also makes it much harder for an admin to override the styles
in pmwiki.css.  Beyond that, I can't imagine any situation where we would
want the pmwiki.css styles to override the styles included in the page.

>    2) Include $DefaultGroup in side bar and wikicmnds
>    <!--wiki:$Group.SideBar $DefaultGroup.SideBar $SiteGroup.SideBar-->
>    and
>    $SiteGroup.PageActions-->

Probably too confusing... a site admin is likely to be very confused when
Main.SideBar and Main.PageActions suddenly becomes the default for the
entire site.  Besides, there's an easy workaround for this available to
the administrator -- just set Site.SideBar or Site.PageActions to contain
(:include Main.SideBar:) or (:include Main.PageActions:).

>    3) Page Actions are displayed twice on a page, but included into the
>    template using two separate mechanisms
>    Use the same mechanism (and source) for page actions.

I can understand the rationale for this one but I'm not sure of the
correct solution.  While we can certainly use PageActions in the footer,
sometimes the list is slightly different and I'm also not sure how to
style the list with hyphens to match the other RecentChanges and Search
links.  At any rate, I think it's worthy of discussion.