[pmwiki-users] Kind-of Blog, a blog for PmWiki

Chris Cox ccox at airmail.net
Thu Dec 8 19:35:28 CST 2005

Sorry if I'm blowing my own horn a bit.... but
I use PmCalendar in many different ways, including
as a News display and as a Blogging tool (without
external comments).

Assume you have NewsCalendar group with (:pmcal:)
and a Calendar group with (:pmcal:).  The NewsCalendar
entries is where I place news... for example on
December 11th I may have found out about a meeting
that will occur on January 5th.  So I make an entry
in the Calendar for January 5th.  Then I make
a NewsCalendar for today (Dec 11th) that links to
the January 5th Calendar entry.

On my front page, I use a (:pmcal caltype=text Cals=NewsCalendar
monthsback=6 reverse=true:)

This presents a list of news items where you can click on
the links presented to take you to the day entry on the
actual Calendar for which the event will take place.

For blogging, you can do the same style of thing.  I use
a BlogCalendar with a (:pmcal:)

(in all cases the (:pmcal:) is in the GroupFooter or
GroupHeader of the group except on the main page above
where I have the textual view of the NewsCalendar entries
on my Main/HomePage... HOWEVER, you can further protect
things so that the (:pmcal:) pages are protected if you
don't want people to see the underlying calendar that
is feeding your News, Blogs, etc.)

Then I use a similar caltype=text entry like with
the front page news above to display my blogging.

For example:

http://theendlessnow.com/ten/Blog/Blog
(this could of just been Main/Blog)
Contents:
 (:pmcal caltype=text styles=PmCal-Blog cals=BlogCalendar monthsback=6
 reverse=true textlinks=false:)

is my Blog view for all to read.

http://theendlessnow.com/ten/BlogCalendar/BlogCalendar

is where I'd made my Blog entries.  Remember that
PmCalendar can bring in multiple calendars.  So your
Blog can contain a view of multiple BlogCalendars
(e.g. PhilCalendar, PatricCalendar, HansCalendar, etc).

I also have Book Reviews at that site at:

http://theendlessnow.com/ten/Main/BookReviews
Contents:
 (:toc Book Reviews:)

 (:pmcal caltype=text styles=PmCal-Blog cals=ReviewCalendar monthsback=6
 reverse=true textlinks=false:)

Behind it sits:

http://theendlessnow.com/ten/ReviewCalendar/ReviewCalendar

Which is where I do my book reviews.