[pmwiki-users] Kind-of Blog, a blog for PmWiki

Ryan R. Varick rvarick at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 01:32:25 CST 2005

On 12/10/05, Han Baas <hanbb at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> IMHO the calendar is a very poor way of archiving. What is needed
> here are three things:

I think you're exactly right.  KOB, I think, has the potential to be a
rather good approximation of your standard blog package.  It does not,
however, leverage the unique charateristics of a wiki.  In fact, it
runs somehwat counter to the organizational model of a wiki.  Instead
of articles, referenced by title, in context, the author is forced to
know some obscure "code" (in this case, the date), to reference an
existing post.  Storing posts by date imposes an artificial semantic
barrier.

Really, I think your first point is *the* major barrier to a true
wiki-based blogging engine.  With my limited knowledge of PmWiki, I
don't know of any way to effectively store pages with real titles, and
sort them by date.  As I see it, the other two points are functions of
the first.

And while I am interested in the features that make up traditional
blogs, my interests are somewhat academic.  I would be very interested
in developing a blog that uses a proper wiki-based storage model.

Ryan