[pmwiki-users] Kind-of Blog 1.1 released

Mikael Nilsson mini at nada.kth.se
Wed Dec 14 14:28:44 CST 2005

ons 2005-12-14 klockan 13:55 -0600 skrev Patrick R. Michaud:
> On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 08:47:43PM +0100, Mikael Nilsson wrote:
> > ons 2005-12-14 klockan 13:28 -0600 skrev Patrick R. Michaud:
> > >
> > > Okay, now for a naive question, since I'm not an active blogger --
> > > what's the reason behind having the blog entries named by date in
> > > the first place?  Perhaps we can find another way to solve that
> > > problem that doesn't require saving by date.
> >
> > The reason is to enable searching by date. Now that the date is in the
> > blogentry markup, this is no longer a requirement.
>
> It's also no problem to add a search-by-date option to pagelist.
> We can also have (:pagelist fmt=blogdigest:) to display the pages
> with date headings.

Exactly. We'd probably want to do that. Possibly, one could also want to
include date, categories, etc. in the display of each blog page.

> > Systems that support permalinks for posts (nicely formatted URLs that
> > contain hints about the content) usually combine a reformatted title
> > with either a sequence number or a date:
> >
> > http://blog.philkern.de/archives/96-Oh-well,-theres-darcs!.html
> >
> > http://www.frepa.org/wp/2005/12/13/mikael-nilssons-presentation-to-the-ieeelom-meeting-in-orlando-in-october-2005/
>
> Oh, we can do that easily enough -- we just tell PmWiki to ignore
> any information after a certain character.

I'm not sure what you are really referring to here. I'm suggesting that
the Permalink == the Wiki page name, and thus that the name of the wiki
page needs to be "nice" in some sense of that word. I am *not*
suggesting a special URL rewriting method to support this.

> > I find both acceptable. But not using either sequence nor date in the
> > post name makes it unnecessarily difficult to organize your posts.
>
> Another naive question:  Why exactly is this difficult?

That mostly comes down to the problems arising when you need to fiddle
with the posts *outside* of the blogging tool. Say you want a script (as
in shell script, in a cron job) that archives posts that are older than
one year, or whatever. Please ignore the details of the example, it's
completely made up... Also, it allows you (and others) to infer things
like the date (i.e. relevance) from seeing just the URL.

I would not say it's a requirement, but people *are* finding it useful,
especially since blogs, in contrast to static web/wiki pages, might
accumulate a huge number of posts over time, so anything that simplifies
the management can be very beneficial.

Make of that what you want...

Actually, since pmwiki itself would probably *not* benefit from (or even
make use of) the page name, the actual way the pages are named might be
configurable.

My previous proposal might end up as a declaration in config.php:

$BlogEntryPageNameFmt = '$Date-$WikifiedTitle'

or whatever the relevant variables would be named. The blog code would
need to make sure that this page is unique, or add -1, -2, -3 etc. to
the above name.

Also, nice permalinks are search engine friendly... see also

http://codex.wordpress.org/Introduction_to_Blogging#Pretty_Permalinks

/Mikael

--
Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose