[pmwiki-users] Spatial overlay to a wiki?

Waylan Limberg waylan at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 08:49:53 CST 2005

On 15 Dec 2005 15:21:14 +1300, John Rankin <john.rankin at affinity.co.nz> wrote:
> Has anyone come across a way to project information from wiki pages onto a map?
>
> We will have many pages each containing a single place name [1].
> Assume that we can extract (pagename, placename) pairs.
> Assume that we can translate placename into latitude, longitude.
>
> I envisage something like: "the more pages there are for a place,
> the bigger its dot on the map". Places with no pages might show
> as red crosses. Click on a dot and it shows you the pages for
> that place. Use category markup to filter pages by subject.
> Use profiles markup to filter pages by person.
>
> I'll be using the wikiforms recipe to maintain the underlying
> data.
>
> Can anyone point me at information on such a system?

http://www.google.com/apis/maps/documentation/
http://developer.yahoo.net/maps/

Above are the APIs for both Yahoo and Google Maps. I understand
Yahoo's is more powerful (and their Terms of Use are less
restrictive), but I believe both require javascript. If your looking
for something without JS, I'm not sure what to tell you (although I
could be wrong on that point). I do know that quite a community has
developed around hacking up Google maps, so a quick search should give
you lots of info there. I suppose the same is true of Yahoo among its
fans as well.

After a quick look through some examples on the Yahoo application
gallery, I found this, which appears to do something similar to what
you want for the Wordpress blog.:
http://www.dronamraju.com/blog/2005/11/geopress-wordpress-plugin-for-tagging-your-posts-with-location-info.html
Btw, that page points to
http://toys.lerdorf.com/archives/35-GeoCool!.html which has lots of
php code using REST to get the map and data. So maybe you don't need
JS after all. Although I didn't read through is real closely and I saw
some references to Flash. But, hey its a start.

--
----
Waylan Limberg
waylan at gmail.com