[pmwiki-users] Re: Blog proposal

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Dec 15 10:12:51 CST 2005

On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 05:11:17PM +0200, blues wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 16:46:44 +0200, Patrick R. Michaud
> <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> >* Posting a blog entry is as simple as adding (:blog:) to the markup
> >  of any page.  When a page containing (:blog:) is saved, that page
> >  is automatically added to the blog trail page if it's not already
> >  listed.  (The author must have write permissions to the blog trail
> >  page.)
>
> and the page name? any name will do?

Any name will do.

> maybe should have a page name prefix like Group.BlogPageTitle
> where Blog is the prefix (configurable)?
> but then what happens if (:blog:) is used in a page that doesn't
> follow the scheme?
> i know is always nice to have the maximum freedom... but i just imagine
> a pagelist full of links where we don't know if belonging to a blog
> or just normal wiki pages.

I'm curious -- does it matter?  Why make a distinction between "blog
pages" and "normal wiki pages"?

> >* An author can use (:blog OtherBlogTrail:) to post the current page
> >  to blog trails other than the default.
>
> the post can go in the blogtrail of another group?
> in that case the page can be in a Group1 but be part of a
> blogtrail in Group2? quite confusing...

I'm not saying that's the normal case, but I don't see any reason
to say that an author *couldn't* do it that way.  As an example,
I might want to have a "Blogs" group for all of the blog trails
("Blogs.Pm", "Blogs.Alice", "Blogs.Bob"), while the individual
blog entries can go into groups based on other criteria.

> >* When displayed, a page containing a (:blog:) directive
> >  automatically receives a blog header and footer, defined
> >  either within the blog trail page or by Site.BlogTemplate.
>
> Site.BlogTemplate means that it is the same for the whole site,
> i would say better to be different for each blogtrail.

I'm thinking we allow both options; a blog trail can specify
the header/footer for the blog, but if not specified in the trail
then the blog entry receives the site default settings.