[pmwiki-users] heirarchical navigation

Robert Laird rlaird at cavediver.com
Thu Dec 15 14:16:22 CST 2005

On 12/15/05, Waylan Limberg <waylan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Or, in other words you have the following pages:
> * RoomA.ClosetA
> * ClosetA.BoxA
> * BoxA.PocketWatch
>
> When you are on the page ClosetA.BoxA it lists appropriately that the
> pagename is "Box A" and that the Group is "Closet A". However, the
> link to "Closet A" is a link to the group "ClosetA", not the page
> "RoomA.ClosetA". How, when you click that link, where no page is
> specified for the group "ClosetA" PmWiki looks for the default page
> (usually ClosetA.HomePage or ClosetA.ClosetA) but seeing none exists,
> you are told that that page doesn't exist.

Waylan --

Yes, thanks, I understand this now...  I have to admit, being new to
wiki administration, I find this a bit disappointing.  I've used
wiki's before, but only as an editor for existing pages (e.g.
Wikipedia)... this is my first foray into setting one up and creating
pages, so I guess I just assumed it was heirachical.

I'll look into Categories some more, and play with trails to see how I
can make it "make sense" (to me, anyway), but ....

But...  most people using wiki's are experienced with web pages and
expect consistency... I can create the trails or whatever, but I can't
*turn off* that link (the aTL).  So, even if I create 2 levels --
Inventory and everything-else -- and put all the detailed stuff in the
everything-else level, I can, using links on the pages, simulate a
heirarchy, but that impression will get wiped out if they click on the
aTL link and get put back at the top.

Maybe I'll change my mind after I work with it for a while, but it
occurs to me that, being new to the way wikis work, others might have
a similar and wrong impression and will be just as disappointed in
that link as I am now.  So, it'd be nice to be able to turn off that
aTL from being a link.

  -- Robert

P.S.  By the way, everyone, terrific response for this topic to a
newbie... I greatly appreciate that!  This seems like a really good
group!