[pmwiki-users] Re: Re: Blog proposal

sven saurwein saurwein at komit.at
Thu Dec 15 14:18:00 CST 2005

Ryan R. Varick wrote:
> On 12/15/05, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
>
>>* We may have a special ?action=newblog that can be used to
>>  automatically drop an author into an editor with the pagename
>>  constructed from the current date, a serial number, or a
>>  combination of the two (configurable).
>

> Things I like:
>
> 1. That blog pages are wiki pages.
> 2. That linking and presentation are handled natively.
> 3. That it's simpler than KOB.
> 4. That we're trying to support blog+wiki and wiki+blog behaviors.
>
> I see point (4) as two distinct things.  For the former, entries are
> created from a form -- they are created with little regard for
> existing pages.  For the latter, entries are created in context, as
> "normal" wiki pages.  A blog says, "I have something to say, and it's
> not necessarily related to what's already here."  A wiki says, "I have
> something to say, which is an extension of this page that I am adding
> it to," even if the author is editing the page to add a link to
> 20051215.  Blog entries may exist as long trails of unconnected pages
> -- wiki pages are inherently connected.
>
> And I think it's an important distinction because that is what people
> will want to use.  Therefore, I think the pagename and the entry title
> should ALWAYS be the same thing.  There should be NO difference
> between the two.  When a page is created from the proposed
> ?action=new, the author should be presented with a title field and a
> content field.  The title field should be the pagename, unless the
> author chooses to leave it blank.  Only then should PmWiki
> automagically create a pagename (and I'm not even sure it should do it
> in this case).

another thought on pagenaming:

(*) if I got this right....
I dont like the inconsistency of permalinks from the same blog like, and
Im talking about links from other websites to our pmwiki blog:
www.pmwiki.org/Blog/2005121501
www.pmwiki.org/Blog/MeLovesMyPagename

while thinking both elements date AND title look attractive...

(*) Date Pagename
creation date is just another way of organizing snips in the wiki and
gives only little to none information about the content.
given the fact that pm makes doesnt need the dated pagename no more, we
should get rid of it and introduce permalink urls with a meaning.

(*) Prosaic Pagename
a prosaic pagename provides some more information regarding content.
but the permalink urls in some months will lack the time informationen

(*)
so I tend towards making a title mandatory and in any case merge
creation date AND title for the pagename, maybe stripping the title to
first, say, 6 words:
www.pmwiki.org/Blog/20051215=TheyForcedMeToFillTitle
www.pmwiki.org/Blog/20051215=INamedThisPageSue

hit me
sven

P.S.Forced title or not, what happens if a pagename/title I put in the
blank posting form is already taken?

-----