[pmwiki-users] Feed Variants and Enclosures

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Dec 16 07:36:54 CST 2005

On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 04:28:46AM -0700, H. Fox wrote:
> Some questions about the capabilities of the new feeds.php script:
>
> What are the differences / features / (dis)advantages of the various
> feed types?  More specifically, for a typical site does it make sense
> to offer RSS 1.0?  RSS 2.0?  Atom?  Some combination such as RSS 2.0 +
> Atom?

I'm not an expert on any of this, but I think I would tend to stick
with RSS 2.0 (?action=rss) and Atom (?action=atom).  I think that
RSS 2.0 has the widest support.  I think that Atom's overall design
is a bit cleaner than the others, but I don't know how widely it's
supported yet.

> How does one use the RSS <enclosure> tag for podcasting?

For podcasting of mp3 files, simply attach an mp3 file to the page
with the same name as the page (i.e., for a page named Podcast.Episode4,
one would attach to that page a file named "Episode4.mp3").  The
file is automatically picked up by ?action=rss and used as an
enclosure.

The set of potential enclosures is given by the $RSSEnclosureFmt
array, thus

  $RSSEnclosureFmt = array('{$Name}.mp3', '{$Name}.wma', '{$Name}.ogg');

allows podcasting in mp3, wma, and ogg formats.