[pmwiki-users] Live Bookmarks on Firefox . . .

H. Fox haganfox at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Dec 19 16:37:59 CST 2005

On 12/19/05, Waylan Limberg <waylan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/19/05, Ben Wilson <dausha at gmail.com> wrote:
> > added a wee bit of markup to my PmWiki template (below). In Firefox, it
> > gives the viewer the ability to add a "live bookmark" onto their bookmark
> > bar.
> >
> > <link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="$WikiTitle RSS"
> > href="$ScriptUrl/Main/AllRecentChanges?action=rss">
> >

> It also offers various rss readers the ability to "autodiscover" your
> feeds. That way, the user doesn't need to know the exact url to the
> feed. All they need to do is point their reader to the site URL
> (example.com), the reader will download the page, look for the links
> and offer the user a list of available feeds.
>
> A few days ago, I remember someone suggesting that we have a way to
> enable rss in the config file. Something like $EnableRSS = 1;. I think
> Patrick offered another similar suggestions.

For now you can use the following in local/config.php to offer RSS 2.0
and Atom feeds:

    ## Activate RSS and Atom Feeds.
    if ($action == 'rss' || $action == 'atom') {
      @include_once("$FarmD/scripts/feeds.php"); }

Patrick's $EnableFeeds = 1 suggestion was proposed so there would be a
variable that indicates if feeds are enabled.  That way, for example,
a skin.php file could adapt according to whether feeds are enabled or
not.

[...]
> PS: In FF, if more than one feed is offered, upon clicking the icon, a
> little box appears listing all available feeds by title. The user just
> selects the feed they want and things continue as normal.

I put a screenshot of it on this page:

http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Test/RSSFeedLinks

Hagan