[pmwiki-users] Live Bookmarks on Firefox . . .

H. Fox haganfox at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Dec 19 17:48:16 CST 2005

On 12/19/05, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 11:10:43PM +0000, Hans wrote:
> > Monday, December 19, 2005, 10:53:19 PM, Patrick wrote:
> > > Or I can add it directly into the feeds.php script.  Most likely
> > > it'll be an array with url => title pairs.
> >
> > But feeds.php is only needed to be loaded for ?action=rss etc.,
> > whereas Hagan's code provides the Header links to provide an easy way
> > for feed bookmarks. This link code needs to go in every page all the time.
>
> Excellent point.  It still seems to me that it's common enough
> to warrant core support somehow -- we just need to figure out
> the various use cases and where the core support belongs.
>
> And we may be able to adjust feeds.php to do a selective load -- i.e.,
> so that it doesn't bother to process the feed code when ?action=
> is something other than a feed designator.

It seems like the code for feed *links* should be in a separate script
to avoid loading the 528-line feeds.php script when it's not
necessary.

As for core support, maybe there could be something like:

    EnableGroupFeed['rss'] = 1;
    EnableGroupFeed['atom'] =1;
    EnableSiteFeed['rss'] = 1;
    EnableSiteFeed['atom'] =1;

(Insert hastily-thought-up-variable-name disclaimer here.)

These would be aliases to accomplish what a typical administrator
would want, rather than using two include_once() lines, which would
also be possible to do.

If those were available, I'd do

    EnableGroupFeed['rss'] = 1;
    EnableGroupFeed['atom'] =1;
    if (the visitor has edit authorization) {
      EnableSiteFeed['rss'] = 1;
      EnableSiteFeed['atom'] =1;
    }

or maybe put

    EnableGroupFeed['rss'] = 1;
    EnableGroupFeed['atom'] =1;

in local/config.php, and use

    EnableSiteFeed['rss'] = 1;
    EnableSiteFeed['atom'] =1;

as a per-group (e.g. Profiles/) or per-page (i.e. Site/Admin) customization.

Hagan