[pmwiki-users] Live Bookmarks on Firefox . . .

H. Fox haganfox at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Dec 19 22:06:00 CST 2005

On 12/19/05, H. Fox <haganfox at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> As for core support, maybe there could be something like:
>
>     EnableGroupFeed['rss'] = 1;
>     EnableGroupFeed['atom'] =1;
>     EnableSiteFeed['rss'] = 1;
>     EnableSiteFeed['atom'] =1;
>
> (Insert hastily-thought-up-variable-name disclaimer here.)

That probably should have been

    EnableFeed['rss']['bygroup'] = 1;
    EnableFeed['atom']['sitewide'] = 1;
    EnableFeed['rss']['bygroup'] = 1;
    EnableFeed['atom']['sitewide'] = 1;

On further consideration, this should probably be modified to
something much simpler, like

    EnableFeeds = 1;

to do what most people want, which is

*  Enable RSS 2.0 and Atom feeds. [1]
*  Generate RSS 2.0 and Atom links by group. [2]

Then allow variations from the default with settings like

    WebFeedLink['default']['bygroup'] = 0;
    WebFeedLink['default']['sitewide'] = 1;

to switch all offered feeds to sitewide (i.e.
{$SiteGroup}/AllRecentChanges) rather than by  group (i.e.
{$Group}/RecentChanges).

Other possible configuration options might be

    WebFeedLink['default']['rss'] = 0;  # Don't offer RSS 2.0 links / feeds.
    WebFeedLink['rdf']['sitewide'] = 1;  # Offer RSS 1.0 feeds and include
                                         # an ?action=rdf HTML header link
                                         # to {$SiteGroup}/AllRecentChanges

(The variable-name disclaimer still applies. :-) )

Overall idea:  The relatively slim scripts/feedlinks.php script would
exist to hide complexity from non-wizard administrators.  It would
enable/disable the feeds for the appropriate actions automagically so
no conditional include_once() lines are necessary.  Of course any of
this could be easily customized/bypassed using a cookbook recipe.

Hagan

[1] Maybe Dublin Core, too?

[2]  I'm thinking that per-group feed links are a good default.  The
reasoning is based on Pm's rationale for offering RecentChanges, not
AllRecentChanges links in the default skin.