[pmwiki-users] Re: New page issues?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Dec 20 15:37:32 CST 2005

On Tue, Dec 20, 2005 at 09:01:28PM +0000, Mark Moorcroft wrote:
> Waylan Limberg <waylan <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

> > My guess is that when you say "depending on what item in the sidebar
> > is selected." you mean when viewing different pages. I am also
> > assuming that these different pages are in different groups. My guess
> > is that the links you added to the sidebar did not specify a group, so
> > when you are in GroupA, it looks for the page in GroupA, but when
> > viewing a page in GroupB, it only looks for the page in GroupB,
> > doesn't find it and tells you the page needs to be created. The
> > workaround is to have all links in the sidebar include the group the
> > page belongs to: GroupA.SomePage GroupB.AnotherPage etc.
> >

> The strange thing is that if your assumption is correct, editing the empty page
> would never remove the question mark. My experience has been that if I edit the
> page every place it appears with a question mark it will eventually go away.
> It's as if 2 or 3 versions of the same page are being created, although I have
> yet to actually see differences depending on where it's opened.

Check your Site.AllRecentChanges page.  You're likely to find multiple
pages named "ActionItems", "KnowledgeBase", "PendingIssues",
or "MonthlyReportQueue" (each one in a different group).  This is
where your extra versions are probably going.

With your the sidebar as you have it:

> * [[Main/HomePage]]
> * [[Main/WikiSandbox]]
> %right% [-[[Site.SideBar?action=logout | Log Out]]-]
>
> %sidehead% [[Action_Items]]
> * [[Action_Items/General]]

When viewing the Main.HomePage, the [[Action_Items]] link is a link
to Main.ActionItems.  So, until that page is created, you'll see the
question mark.  Let's suppose that you click on the question mark
and create Main.ActionItems.  Now the question mark is gone.  Then
you follow the link to Action_Items/General.

When viewing Action_Items/General, the [[Action_Items]] link is unqualified
and thus is treated as a link to ActionItems.ActionItems.  Since
that page doesn't exist (the above step created Main.ActionItems),
it displays with a question mark.    So, for each group you end up
viewing, [[Action_Items]] will appear to be a link to a different page.

However, once you create ActionItems.ActionItems or ActionItems.HomePage,
PmWiki will detect that [[Action_Items]] is intended to be a link to
the home page of another group, and use that accordingly.  But until/
unless that group page exists, PmWiki thinks that [[Action_Items]]
is a link to a page in the group of the currently displayed page,
whatever it happens to be.