[pmwiki-users] search does not find text with markup

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Dec 20 18:07:13 CST 2005

On Tue, Dec 20, 2005 at 11:56:31PM +0100, Mikael Nilsson wrote:
> > However, we could modify this somewhat -- we could save the entire
> > rendered text, and we could strip the HTML tags from the excerpt.
> > This could nicely resolve the problem described above, since the
> > excerpt would be searchable as well as the markup text.  It
> > would also allow searches to easily display the text surrounding
> > a found search term.
>
> Well, to me it sounds like you need a simple text indexing engine using
> flat-file databases, like phpdig: http://www.phpdig.net/index.php or
> maybe SEARCpHp:  http://www.hansanderson.com/php/search/

phpdig seems to require MySQL, and I don't want to introduce that
as a core requirement.  (However, if anyone wants to develop
a cookbook recipe for indexing with phpdig, I think it'd be an excellent
idea!)

SEARCpHp has promise, though -- that could be a nice add-on for
PmWiki.  But there are still some searches and listings that SEARCpHP
doesn't immediately support and places where we'd want to display
text excerpts (e.g., RSS feeds).

Thanks!