[pmwiki-users] Re: New Skin : RoseTrellis

Hans design at softflow.co.uk
Fri Dec 23 03:10:02 CST 2005

Friday, December 23, 2005, 2:54:47 AM, Susan wrote:

> It now works in Explorer. Looks nicer in FireFox, but if I make the spaces small
> enough in IE, then they get way too small in FireFox.

> If anyone knows how to fix the small page problem in IE, I'd appreciate the
> help. It doesn't seem to recognize min-height:25em for the main content div.

I looked at the skin and the code and got it to work in iE too, with
the following changes:

Change all the layout divisions from having class names to having ids
instead.  id='vmid', id='menucell', id='menudiv',
id='maincell' etc.
Since these divs are occuring only once on the page id names are fine,
and are stronger than class names. A browser recognise ids easier than
divs identified by class only.

Delete 'position:absolute' from menucell and menudiv, we don't want
them absolute, as we want them contained within the vmid div. An
absolute div will always 'stick out', as it is taken out from
the normal flow of elements the browser constructs.

Set menucell float:left;
this allows the maincell to appear next to the menu, not below it.

Create a 'clearer' div at the end of the vmid div in the template:
and set its css properties this:
.clearer {height:1px; clear:both; margin-top:-1px;}
This is a trick div which does not introduce any content to the page
(not even white space), but it will stretch the vmid div  downwards
so both menu and main content will be inside its borders.

That's it! sorry, not just a small change!
In fact the min-height did not play into this at all, you can delete
that.

Best,
~Hans