[pmwiki-users] Re: Request for changing the default upload policy

H. Fox haganfox at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Dec 28 22:08:14 CST 2005

On 12/26/05, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> > But I hope you're not considering cluttering the root of the installation.
>
> Yes, I was thinking of cluttering the root of the installation.
> But I was also thinking only in terms of one (maybe two) sample
> config files, not a whole lot.
>
> I'm definitely not a fan of adding another directory.  So, if we're
> not going to place them in the root, I think that sample configs
> ought to go in local/, scripts/, or cookbook/ .  If we need a pointer
> to the samples, we can create README or INSTALL files in the root.

Or put something in sample-config.php that points to the location.
This way you're not adding any new files in the root.

To me, scripts/ stands out as the best choice among the three, since
local/ should be, well, *local* files and cookbook directory structure
is confusing enough without any non-recipe distributed files.  Stated
another way, distribute sample config scripts in scripts/ with other
distributed files and leave cookbook/ and local/ exclusively for
site-specific files.

The more I consider it though, the more I think a docs/ directory
really does make sense...

I'm not a fan of adding another directory unless it makes things
clearer, especially for someone installing PmWiki for the first time.
I think adding a docs/ directory would accomplish just that.

I think it's obvious that documentation would be found in the docs/
directory, which might look something like this:

 docs/
   .htaccess
   COPYING.txt(*)
   INSTALL.txt(*)
   README.txt(*)
   cms-config.php
   sample-config.php
   secure-config.php

This way there would be no publicly accessible files distributed with
PmWiki, which is an improvement.  If docs/ isn't a self-evident
documentation location, then how about this?

* In the root, replace sample-config.php with README.txt(*) that reads

   Documentation, licensing information, and sample configuration
   files are in the docs/ directory
 . [...]

* Add the docs/ directory, with files like

   docs/
     .htaccess
     COPYING.txt(*)
     INSTALL.txt(*)
     cms-config.php
     sample-config.php
     secure-config.php

Just some thoughts...

Hagan

(*)  The .txt extension definitely should be included for README(.txt)
and INSTALL(.txt) files.  I'd change COPYING to LICENSE.txt, too,
although that's less important.