[pmwiki-users] [O-T] Re: Re: Request for changing the default upload policy

H. Fox haganfox at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Dec 29 15:45:53 CST 2005

On 12/29/05, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 29, 2005 at 03:42:05AM -0700, H. Fox wrote:
> > > PS. I can see that it might make things easier for Windows users who use
> > > the file extension to control what type a file is.
> >
> > Exactly.
> >
> > To some (ironically not including myself) the extension is important.
> > That's why I think it's helpful to include the extension.  Some users
> > don't even see extensions -- they'll only see the icon that indicates
> > it's a text file.  Double-click and it opens in the default text
> > editor.
> >
> > Omitting ".txt" erects an admittedly small barrier, but why have a
> > barrier at all?
>
> The standard for GPL programs is that the license file be called
> "COPYING" [1], so I followed that standard.  We could change it
> to COPYING.txt, but I'll only do that in the context of a larger
> reorganization (which I haven't committed to yet).

In 1991 that was definitely the way to go, and I think it's a standard
that C programmers find right at home, but not a typical PmWiki
installer.  For them, LICENSE.txt is much more appropriate.

As for COPYING.txt vs. LICENSE.txt, I'll let Google search results
make the point:

    about 71,300 for "copying.txt"
    about 2,170,000 for "license.txt"

So, what's that, 30 times more?

If there's a docs/ directory you could cover all bases with a
LICENSE.txt that reads:

   See COPYING.txt

Although I think putting the GPL text in LICENSE.txt gets the job done.

Hagan

p.s.: Since PmWiki is licensed under GPL v2 *or newer*, maybe
LICENSE.txt should read something like this:

    PmWiki is Copyright 2001-2005 Patrick R. Michaud
    pmichaud at pobox.com
    http://www.pmichaud.com/

    (at your option) any later version.

    The GNU General Public License is distributed with this program
    (see COPYING.txt) and it is also available online at
    http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl.txt