[pmwiki-users] Re: Root README.txt With a docs/ Directory

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Thu Dec 29 20:02:58 CST 2005

At 2005-12-30  02:06 AM +0100, christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com is
rumored to have said:
>On Thu, 29 Dec 2005, Neil Herber wrote:
>
> > At 2005-12-30  01:49 AM +0100, christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com is
> > rumored to have said:
> > >Do we even need it? Surely the most inept administrator should be able to
> > >follow something like the following from README:
> > >
> > >         For installation instructions, see
> > >                 http://pmwiki.org/wiki/InstallationInstructions
> >
> > When testing and installing new software, I often do it on a machine
> > that is not connected to the net (can't be too sure what it might
> > do!!) so I find it supremely annoying to have a readme send me
> off to the web.
> >
> > However, I don't mind something like: "To install this software, do
> > this  .... blah blah blah   .... For the most up to date instructions
> > please see http://pmwiki.org/wiki/InstallationInstructions "
>
>Hmm... didn't think about not being connected. Guess you're working with
>Windows machines here. Anyway, I guess your point is quite valid...
>
>Would an autmatically generated HTML-copy of the wiki pages suffice?
>(Assuming it was placed in e.g. wiklib.d/)
>
>/Christian
>
>PS. I think you might have forgotten to reply to the list. If so please,
>forward my answer as well!

Woops! Yes, I did mean to reply to the list and will do so now.

Not sure why my being on Windoze has anything to do with not being
connected ... My point is simply if I am testing stuff on an
air-gapped machine, I can't easily look at an online page.

As long as the readme file is readable locally, it doesn't matter to
me how it is generated. However, I would expect to find a readme at
the top level of the install directory -  not buried in some folder
like wikilib.d/. Having it in wikilib.d/ implies that I need PmWiki
up and running to read it, which presents an interesting bootstrap challenge.

I am coming into this discussion late, so I hope I am not off topic.

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/
Tel: (613) 829-4668