[pmwiki-users] Request for ideas -- edit page improvements

Pierre Rouzeau pierre at rouzeau.net
Tue Feb 1 14:41:07 CST 2005

Hello, my answers in the text

Patrick R. Michaud a écrit :
> On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 08:51:01PM +0100, Pierre Rouzeau wrote:
>
>>To explain why i think there is some need for simpler table manipulation:
>>- the PmWiki Features list, simple table scheme :
>>http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/PmWikiFeatures?action=edit
>

> Actually, PmWikiFeatures is one of those pages that I think ought to
> be reworked to not use a table in the first place.  It seems to me
> it would more readable and understandable to new people as highly
> structured prose; i.e., using headings and/or definition lists.

For my job, i read and write a lot of tabulated datasheets and text
specifications. I always found much faster to read and interpret
datasheets than verbose specifications. Though, i agree this is a
personal opinion which may be dictated by this experience, and that
others with less training in this sort of things may disagree. One other
reason might be than english is not my mother language.
Opinions ?

>>- A list of listserv references, which was initially in simple table
>>scheme, but was later changed to advanced table, due to difficulties to
>>manage it:
>>http://www.rouzeau.net/w/z.php5?n=Ressources.ListesDeDiffusion?action=edit
>>
>>That may also help to understand why i wanted to have a full width
>>editing...

> It also seems to me that this sort of application is a case where
> it might be better to define a custom markup rather than try to
> shoehorn things into the existing table markups.  In general it's a
> good idea to separate content from layout, and this use of tables
> doesn't do that.

When i have ported that (from a html table), this was on PmWiki1 and to
date, i had no idea of how to do a custom markup.
Now i think understand a little better, but i don't really see what sort
of markup you will make to do that. Specific tags for table columns, or
what?

Regards

Page principale - Main page  -  www.rouzeau.net <http://www.rouzeau.net>