[pmwiki-users] Re: Question about HTML output for link targets

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Feb 2 16:59:56 CST 2005

On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 09:50:03AM +1100, Larry Lewis wrote:
> Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
>
> >In considering "~" I did think about the potential conflict with
> >[[~xyz]],
> >but I wasn't necessarily planning to allow a [[~subpage]] markup.
> >
> Beware of ~ in file names .. filename.~ext is taken as being a 'backup'
> file in a lot of windoze stuff and automated cleanup programs will
> delete these files automatically if told to dleete 'standard' backups.

Argh.  Okay.

> Hypens in names can cause problems too (sorry to be a worry wart)

Hmm, hyphens are used in nearly every major OS that I'm aware of
(except maybe VMS), so I think it's relatively safe.

> The idea of subpages sounds neat but the filenaming has to take into
> account the quirky nature of using special characters in file names '#'
> and '@' are not used for anything so far as I can remember in filenames
> .. '#' might even be logical sort of .. Main.Somepage.#Comment reckon
> adding the '.' is necessary so people can do a delete Main.Somepage.*
> without  worrying about name collisions.

# has too many other meanings -- on a shell command line it's a comment,
and in a url it's a url fragment (e.g., Main/SomePage#Comment refers
to the section of Main/SomePage that contains <a id='Comment'>).

@ bugs me also.  I'm pretty sure I'm going to stick with hyphen.