[pmwiki-users] Unclear which 'restore'-link to press when restoring a page

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Feb 3 11:05:36 CST 2005

On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 08:04:53AM +0000, Hans wrote:
> Wednesday, February 2, 2005, 11:02:45 PM, John wrote:
> > Many word processors use 'Revert' to mean 'Undo all' I think.
>
> > Perhaps 'Revert to older version'. This describes the result achieved,
> > rather than the process for achieving it, which may be clearer.
>
> In the MS-Windows environment 'Undo' is generally used.
> My preference is:  'Undo the changes above'.

One advantage of "revert" and "restore" over "undo" is that
"undo" makes it sound as though you're removing (undoing) the changes
entirely from the page history, whereas revert/restore sort of imply
that you're simply restoring a previous version of the page to be
the current one.  Subtle, yes, but I have a lot of new authors/admins
who express concerns that "undo" in the page history causes the
"undone" changes to be completely lost.