[pmwiki-users] Re: Re: Dare I edit the page? (Was: suggestion for continuously improving...

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Feb 3 17:11:22 CST 2005

On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 12:02:10AM +0100, chr at home.se wrote:
> > > The idea here is that this message (or "level") would be different for
> > > different (kinds of) pages. Some pages all users would be encouraged to
> > > make changes and/or additions to, while other pages should only be
> > > modified by people who know what they are doing.
> >
> > Right, and $EditMessageFmt could be set by a group-config, page-config,
> > or other algorithm appropriately.  :-)
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong here, but wouldn't it take an administrator to
> do this? I think it should be enough to be "editor" to set this kind of
> "level"? (Or perhaps simply the original author of a page)

Yes, if we're just setting $EditMessageFmt directly.  But a sophisticated
enough local configuration or cookbook script would be sufficient to
manipulate $EditMessageFmt based on author settings.  The problem with
"author-based" manipulation is that it becomes tedious to set the message
on every page (i.e., there needs to be a way to do it for a set of pages).