[pmwiki-users] using PITS as a project manager [was: draft/Subpageish stuff]

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Sun Feb 6 16:41:04 CST 2005

On Monday, 7 February 2005 10:28 AM, Knut Alboldt <pmwiki at alboldt.de> wrote:
>Hi John !
>Since Dec last year I'm working on a Configuration Management (with
>pmwikidraw) and Problem Management solution with pmwiki. I've got it
>working with some kind of "fields" within a page (just a line in the
>format of "fieldname:: fieldcontents") and some "list"-markup to get
>tables by selecting fields, sorting and filtering (like : (:listfields
>listname:). The specifications for the lists (e.g. listname) are not yet
>implemented as wiki-page-text (like PITS - I'm still working on that
>part) but rather static within the config.php as functions. Another
>thing that's still missing is what you're working on: entering the
>fields in a form (new pages and edit exsiting). Right now the users
>enter their field values in a usual wiki-text-page (and so they can
>misspell fieldnames and input wrong field-values). So I'm very
>interested in your solution ! It sounds that its rather flexible using
>forms as input for wiki-pages, not only for creating a PITS, right ?
>(Just mailed with Ciaran to check out if the FGS is working in V2 and he
>said he's using it well)

Yes -- it's intended to be completely general, edit as well as
create pages. For example:

- the original idea was for a client who wants to maintain and
  publish a range of 'registers' (basically tables of values)
  without having to get a devloper in every time they needed a
  new register; they are still thinking about this as a possible
  solution

- for the wiki to pdf project, we needed a way for a reader to
  specify the layout of the printed page (fonts, justification,
  title, table of contents and so on), for which we needed a
  form that could be customised, since we don't quite know what
  the print options will be

- and we needed a way to track, update and report issues and tasks;
  for us, editing an existing page via a form will be very useful

At the moment, nothing is properly documented or tested, with only
the most basic of page lists. In particular, the template markup
is still evolving. For example if the template page says:

:Priority:priority (low;*medium;high)

the form hss a prompt for 'Priority' named 'priority' with radio buttons
low medium high and medium selected. Like this:

where ( ) denote a radio button.

If I can get our issues tracking set up this week, then I can at
least point to a working example!

--
JR