[pmwiki-users] Disjointed Display

Hans design at flutesong.net
Mon Feb 7 07:36:41 CST 2005

Monday, February 7, 2005, 12:25:55 PM, Robin wrote:
> On Monday 07 February 2005 16:42, Wade Hudson wrote:
>> Using the dropdown skin at:
>> http://ProgressiveResourceCatalog.org
>> and viewing the site on others' computers at other locations, I have
>> twice noticed that the right frame does not seem to fit into the proper
>> space adjacent to the sidebar but rather gets pushed down to the bottom
>> of the page, so that the reader must scroll down to see text that should
>> be at the top of the page.
> I've not seen it myself, but apparently it's a bug with IE mis-handling long
> lines (at least, that does cause it). The only solution I know is to not use
> IE, which is recommended for internet use in general :)

Look in dropdown.css:
The right side of the layout is a float.
what is noted as a IE hack is read by other browsers as well,
like Firefox needs to have the right div set at 75%, it is
not an IE hack, and it does not prevent the floating,
and under some conditions IE drops down the floating division.

     #right{ float:right;
     }
     body>#right{ /* IE hack to avoid floating */
                  width:75%;
                  }

You could replace the float with an absolute positioning.
Replace the above with:

    #right{ position:absolute;
            top:0;
            left:26%; }