[pmwiki-users] using PITS as a project manager [was: draft/Subpageish stuff]

Knut Alboldt pmwiki at alboldt.de
Tue Feb 8 15:46:42 CST 2005

John Rankin schrieb:

> Be careful what you wish for :)
>
> Those interested, have a look at:
> http://intranet.affinity.co.nz/pmwiki2/index.php?n=Issues.Issues
>
> There is a sample (and undocumented) form template page at:
> http://intranet.affinity.co.nz/pmwiki2/index.php?n=Issues.FormTemplate
>
> It produces a form like this:
> http://intranet.affinity.co.nz/pmwiki2/index.php?n=Issues.NewIssue
>
> There is one record:
> http://intranet.affinity.co.nz/pmwiki2/index.php?n=Issues.00001
>
> Click the Edit Form link at the bottom right of the page to load the data from the page into the form.

I had a look and what I saw was quite "grown up". Is there a sandbox
somewhere, where we could test creating new forms etc (I've got a lot of
questions and testing them in a sandbox would possibly give a quick
answer - then to be documented) ? Or would a it be a better idea to
release a first alpha version for testing on local sites ?

> I think a good test would be to choose one of the several suggested uses and set up a form for it. So let's identify candidates and then pick one. The following people (and possibly others I missed) have noted interest:
>
> Hugo Fjelsted Alrøe
> Neil Herber
> Luca Marletta (time sheets)
> Knut Alboldt (problem management)
> pyg_listes (project tasks)
>
> The candidate needs to be simple enough to be manageable and rich enough to exercise the capabilities. From the look of it, we may even end up with a complete, forms-based wiki project control system. Add in the wiki calendar and you have progress reporting as well.

I like "project tasks" best, the problem management I've mentioned is
quite comparable with PITS and the forms you already implemented with
the issue-forms.

> The main thing that's stopping me releasing it as a recipe is that the template markup is undocumented and can probably be improved. But being able to define a form using a wiki page template is definitely the way to go. However, changing the template will seriously break editing of existing records.

Well, if we use it just for testing, not for production, I think it's a
nice idea to implement iit on a local site just to play around even if
you know, that the next time all data can be invalid or broken.

This way I started testing the pmwikidraw-stuff and I think Ciaran fixed
it very quickly into a version that is usable and stable.

Just by reading your website, the "other" project - pdf2you - sounds
very very interesting to use (additional to FromTemplates) !

Knut