[pmwiki-users] Noobie Qs

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Feb 15 12:48:58 CST 2005

On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 12:20:28PM -0600, Doug wrote:
> The learning curve for PmWiki and .php seems s-t-e-e-p, and
> I'm both intimidated by the power of what's possible, and yet
> reluctant to ask noobie questions when others on the list seem
> so far ahead in their knowledge and level of support.

The learning curve for PmWiki is steep only if you want it to do
lots of steep things.  Otherwise, it's pretty straightforward
(at least it's supposed to be).

> Maybe I can turn this into a win-win situation. Is it okay
> to ask questions (on this list)--simple startup questions?

Definitely -- that's what this list is for.

> Perhaps I can return the favor by contributing to a new or
> existing PmWiki-based STARTUP page to which all noobies can refer?

This would be great.  Part of our problem at the moment seems to be that
there are so many things that can be done that it's hard to come up
with a STARTUP page that does it justice.  We're often lost in the
dichotomy between the common questions of:

   - Is there anywhere that I can see a list of all of PmWiki options?
   - There's so many options available for PmWiki, how can I make sense of it?

> I guess I need some hand-holding until I get the hang of things.
> There seems to be a *LOT* to learn.

In general, you only need learn as much as needed to meet your
immediate goals.  At least, that's the theory.  :-)