[pmwiki-users] typography

Thomas -Balu- Walter list+pmwiki-users at b-a-l-u.de
Tue Feb 15 17:52:00 CST 2005

On Wed, Feb 02, 2005 at 08:29:15AM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 02:28:16PM +0100, malexism (f) wrote:
> > In french (and other languages ?) it's a rule to insert a space before
> > each double-ponctuation... i don't know english name for "ponctuation".
> >
> >  ; : ? ! <- these are double
> >
> > ., <- these are simple.
> >
> > PmWiki should replace " !" by "&nbsp;!", etc.
>
> Somehow I think this is best left as a local customization.

Hell yeah.

In Germany having a space in front of any punctuation is called
"plenken" and is very very bad behaviour :)

Even the wikipedia knows that...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plenk

The german page even explains the special french way ;) and it also
tells us that Chinese people do the antonym... because the chinese
letters are always monospaced fonts, the dots, commas, etc. are usually
too wide so they do not type a space after them - which is called
"Klempen" :)

Anway - enough teaching for today ;).

     Balu .