[pmwiki-users] Skip a line in block of code

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sun Feb 20 10:58:09 CST 2005

On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 03:56:44PM -0800, Menachem Shapiro wrote:
> > If you want the markup to apply only to a specific item, use
> >    $WikiStyle['note']['apply'] = 'item';
> >
> > If you want the markup to apply to the entire list, use
> >    $WikiStyle['note']['apply'] = 'list';
> >
> > apply=block will apply the style to the entire block, which includes
> > both lists and items (thus the double styling on that item).
> >

> Could you explain the difference betwen 'block', 'list', and 'item'?

Sure.  Apply=block applies to any sort of block markup, such as
paragraphs, lists, indents, and list items.  Apply=list applies to an

So given the markup

    * %apply=XXX border='1px solid black'% First
    * second
    * third

if XXX is 'item' (as in 'apply=item'), then only the first bullet item
will have a box around it.  If XXX is 'list', then the entire bullet
list will be placed in a box.  And if XXX is 'block', then the bullet
list will be placed in a box, as well as the first list item (because
'block' covers both).

> If I want to markup just the paragraph of text without marking up the
> bullet, and without having to re-markup every line, which one would I
> use?

Hmmm, I'm not sure you can do that.  For a variety of reasons, the text
of a list item in PmWiki isn't placed in a <p>...</p> paragraph container.
So I don't know that there's an easy way to do something to the text
of all the items in a list without also affecting the bullets.

What do you want done to the item text but not to the bullet?