[pmwiki-users] Password Anomaly

Wade Hudson whudson at igc.org
Sun Feb 20 11:48:15 CST 2005

The good news is that I have managed to set passwords for all my Groups
and they now seem to be working properly.

Primarily for your information, however, I'll let you know that there
definitely were some strange problems happening. I kept a careful log as
I tested, which is included below.

#1 Curiosity:
Even after I closed and reopened my browser, I could edit some Groups
without having to enter any password. The password box did not even
open. The edit box came up immediately.

#2 Curiosity:
On a few occasions, the response would vary. First no password would be
required. Then I would close and re-open the browser and a password
would be required.

Possible Curiosity:
The associate who edited a page in the Select Catalog definitely did not
know the site password that was supposed to be required. I don't believe
that I had changed the password on that group or any other Group in the
Select Catalog, but maybe I had.

Not sure if I have auto-complete set or not. I'm using Firefox. Just
searched Help for auto complete and found nothing.

Anyway, it seems to be working correctly now. Thanks to all for
responding.

LOG

As announced publicly, "open" is the password for editing the Open
Catalog
I try "open" as the password on each Group in the Select Catalog, from
the top down - mostly Home pages but also some sub-groups.
It fails repeatedly as expected.

Arts and culture:
open works as the password
Close browser
Open still works
Restart computer
I click Edit Page and no password required
Close browser
Open works
Restart

Arts and culture:
Open works

Open still doesn't work for other Groups above
Close browser

Recreation:
open works

Science:
open doesn't work

Government:
no password required

Open Catalog

Introduction:
no password required

Health:
open doesn't work

Personal Growth:
no password required

Created Test
Set test as password
Closed
Test worked as password
Closed
Open did not work
Closed browser

Arts and culture:
set site password as password
Closed
Open doesn't work
Site password does
Closed

Open doesn't work on Arts/Service and Arts/Activist either

Recreation:
no password required
set site password as password
Still no password required
Closed browser
Open doesn't work
Site password does

Science:
THIS TIME NO PASSWORD REQUIRED
set site password as password
Closed
Open does not work
Site password does

Government:
No password required as before
set site password as password
Closed
Open does not work
Site password does

Set open as password on all Open sections

How:
No password required
Set site password as password
Closed

About:
Works properly
Closed

Community:
Works properly
Closed

Checked Sections that were problematic before
All work properly now.