[pmwiki-users] Convert HTMl mark up to PMWiki mark up

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Feb 24 20:47:03 CST 2005

On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 04:16:51PM -1000, Sivakatirswami wrote:
> I have some technical documents in HTML which I want to move to
> PMWiki... is there some converter program I can run them through to get
> some semblance of the original... it doesn't need to be perfect.
> Otherwise I have to strip the HTML (which uses a CSS style sheet) of
> all tags and mark up a gain with PMWiki mark up.

I've found that one of the easiest ways to move things from
HTML into PmWiki is to simply use the copy+paste features of
a browser.  I.e., view the HTML page in the browser, select
all of the text that you want to move into PmWiki, copy that
to the clipboard, navigate to a PmWiki edit window where you
want to save the content, and then paste.

This process automatically eliminates any HTML tags, while
preserving most paragraph and other similar formatting.
>From there it's often not too much work to go back and
add the necessary styling/formatting code in PmWiki markup.
However, this depends on how much styling was in the original
page, of course.

Beyond that, I'm not aware of anything that makes it easy to
convert HTML (especially HTML+CSS) into another markup
language.