[Pmwiki-users] Three Questions

Theo Armour theo
Sun Jan 2 15:22:24 CST 2005

Hello Spam Account Speedxs

> As far as i can see it, it's not just one person doing everything, yet
others that help seem not part of the default team.
> PmWiki is just PHP, all sources are there and all scripts are maintainable
by anyone who knows it.
> If whatever happens to Michaud, the only thing that would be inaccassible
are the latest changes but don't consider that a disaster.
> strange questions for a project that is more open source than it looks
like.

Thank you for your reply. Yes, perhaps my questions seem strange.

And, yes, PmWiki is open - delightfully open - and it has many other
wonderful aspects.  This is why I am interested in moving my files to
PMWiki.

But at some time in the future something very cool will come along and we
will all gradually move from PmWiki into this new cool thing. Even Pm will
do this.

The real questions are: how long will it be before the change occurs and how
difficult will the translation be.

Past experience tells me that moving a web site from one generating system
to another takes time - much more time than you want.

I have been moving computer files since 1967. Every decade it does get
easier, but I am really tired of doing this.

I have built web sites for a good number of needy individuals and
organizations. Currently I have several thousand static html pages to deal
with - these were built using a variety of techniques including FrontPage,
Mambo, CMSimple and others. The move will mean weeks of work.

Any assurances - indications of an ongoing structure, a commitment to
ongoing development, and evident collaboration - would help, make this work
lighter. But not that much lighter.

So Spam Account Speedxs, it all goes back to a very old thought - Caveat
Emptor - let the buyer beware.

Theo