[Pmwiki-users] Heading Button and Semantic Structure / Accessibility

Neil Herber nospam
Tue Jan 11 10:06:46 CST 2005

At 2005-01-11  09:14 AM -0700, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:
> > The oversized, bold "A" on the heading button suggests that the button
> > has something to do with fonts.  (Admittedly I can't immediately think
> > of a better multi-lingual graphical representation of a heading.)
>
>Join the club (which includes me).  Everyone I've shared the button bar
>with has said that the oversized "A" doesn't indicate heading, and they've
>also said they can't come up with anything better.  Believe me, as soon
>as we come up with a better image (multi-lingual or not) I'll change it.

I must agree that the giant A is completely non-intuitive as a level 3
heading icon.

What about the obvious "h1", "h2", and "h3"? Even non- HTMLers are familiar
with "heading level 1" from packages like Word. Not sure how well this
translates though.

For those determined not to see any HTML sullying their pages, how about
"!", "!!", and "!!!"? Not sure how to accommodate the Cookbook recipe that
reverses the weights.

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/